bios I prefer you use
Pretty please, do use these.
Official headshots and other photos available below.
short and sweet
Denise Kiernan is an author, journalist and producer. Her latest book, The Last Castle (Sept., 2017), was an instant New York Times bestseller in both hardcover and paperback. Her previous title, The Girls of Atomic City, is a New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and NPR Bestseller and has been published in seven languages. She lives in North Carolina.
Denise Kiernan is an author, journalist and producer and has been working as a writer for more than 20 years. Her work has been published in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Village Voice, Ms. Magazine, Reader's Digest, Discover and many more publications. She has also worked in television, serving as head writer for ABC's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" during its Emmy award-winning first season and has produced for media outlets such as ESPN and MSNBC.
Her last two books—The Last Castle and The Girls of Atomic City—were both instant New York Times bestsellers in both hardcover and paperback. The Last Castle was also a Wall Street Journal bestseller and a finalist for the Southern Book Prize. The Girls of Atomic City is now available in seven languages and was named one of Amazon's "Top 100 Best Books of 2013." It was also awarded the 2014 American Political Science Association's Woodrow Wilson Foundation Award for the best book published in the United States on government, politics, or international affairs.
Kiernan has also co-authored several popular history titles including Signing Their Lives Away, Signing Their Rights Away, and Stuff Every American Should Know. Throughout her career, Kiernan has been a featured guest on many radio and television shows, including NPR's "Weekend Edition," PBS NewsHour, MSNBC Morning Joe and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. She lives in North Carolina.
- Finalist, 2018 Southern Book Prize
- Winner, 2014 American Political Science Association Woodrow Wilson Foundation Award for the best book published in the United States on government, politics, or international affairs.
- Winner, 2013 Colonial Dames of America Annual Citation
- Winner, Lucy Bramlette Patterson Award from General Federation of Woman’s Clubs of North Carolina
- Winner, Women of Achievement Award from General Federation of Woman’s Clubs of North Carolina
- Finalist, SIBA Book of the Year 2014
- Runner-up, GoodReads Choice Awards: Best History and Biography of 2013
- Invited Scholar, Manhattan Project National Historic Park Scholar's Forum
- Selected as 2014 Common reading selection for the University of Mississippi
- Certificate of Leader Development in National Security and Strategy, U.S. Army War College
- Board member, Atomic Heritage Foundation
- Educational Press Association Award for original children's magazine writing
- BA from New York University
- MA from New York University