popular topics and workshops
- The Last Castle: Gilded Age, Grit and Grace Inside the Nation's Largest Home
- The Girls of Atomic City: Life in a Secret City of the Manhattan Project
- Modern-Day Lessons of the Manhattan Project
- How I Did It: Researching, writing and publishing narrative nonfiction in today’s market
- Book Proposal Boot Camp
Denise has spoken across the country at universities, high schools, bookstores, corporate events, book festivals and community forums.
In one of her most popular talks, Denise discusses how she came to write and shares insights from The Girls of Atomic City, the true story of young women living in a secret government city during World War II while unknowingly working on the first atomic bomb. Using a collection of vintage photographs, she takes audiences back in time and into a top-secret world where young women and men lived and worked surrounded by spies and secrecy, forbidden to speak of their work, even to each other, as the United States worked to face the challenges of World War II and the Manhattan Project raced to harness nuclear power.
A lively and engaging speaker, Kiernan enthralls audiences with this story of adventure, intrigue, sacrifice and controversy.
To book Denise for your next event:
Contact: Hadley Walker, Greater Talent/Simon and Schuster Speakers Bureau
Prior engagements include...
- Carter Presidential Library
- Truman Presidential Library
- U. S. National Archives, Washington, DC
- U. S. National Archives at Atlanta "Secret City Symposium"
- Columbia University School of Journalism
- University of Mississippi Convocation Speaker and Common Reading Experience
- New York University "Speakers on the Square" series
- University of Mary Washington "Great Lives" series
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Foundation
- American Museum of Science and Energy
- Western Kentucky University
- Middle Tennessee State University
- Alvernia University
- Harper College
- Fort Worth Lecture Foundation
- Los Altos Morning Forum
- Plus more educational institutions, bookstores, community meetings and corporate events